Vegan fast-food concept perches in Houston with ‘chikn’ signature

A high-flying plant-based fast food chicken concept is spreading its wings — and its sandwiches, wraps and nuggets — in Houston.

Based in San Antonio Project Pollofounded in 2020 and following an aggressive expansion plan, will open a drive-thru in Katy, the company announced on Instagram. The future location, the ninth in the chain, will take the place of a former Whataburger.

Project Pollo, which also boasts a new location in the Rosewood neighborhood, is a concept conceived by vegan entrepreneur Lucas Bradbury, which aims to open 100 Project Pollo restaurants by 2024 and pasture the chicken giant Chick-fil-A fast food restaurant. .”

But Bradbury doesn’t count its vegan chicken restaurants before they were hatched. Instead, it’s focused on steady, albeit incredibly rapid, expansion, opening six more locations across Texas over the past year, including Project Pollo’s first restaurant in Austin, as well as outposts. in San Antonio and dallasand aims to open a total of 14 restaurants by the end of this year, including five in Texas in the Houston, Waco, Boerne and Dallas markets.

And, carnivores, if you’ve ever looked at a vegan, plant-based meat meal and thought, “What’s this?” The Pollo project is perhaps the concept that seduces you in plant-based meat. In fact, according to the company, only about 20% of Project Pollo customers are vegan or vegetarian, with the remaining 80% falling into a category Project Pollo calls “curious plants.”

Bradbury says it’s his made-from-scratch Project Pollo menu items that separates his concept from the fast-food herd. Project Pollo’s exclusive vegan “chikn” is made with a non-GMO soy patty and all-natural spices to give it that authentic fried chicken flavor.

Specialties include the original Project Sandwich (homemade breaded chicken topped with homemade aioli and dill pickles), a chipotle chicken wrap and Buffalo chicken nuggets, plus a variety of other chicken sammies, chicken wings, Impossible Meat burgers and loaded dads. (fries covered with Credo brand cashew queso, pico, grilled onions and chipotle ranch).

Bradbury also touts his company’s dedication to people and the planet, noting that all Project Pollo bags, containers and cups are compostable and offering employees double minimum wage and benefits – a rarity in the cleaning industry. fast food.

Additionally, through its community-focused People Project, the company donates two additional sandwiches for the sale of every $5.50 People Project Crispy Strip sandwich, allowing Project Pollo to donate a minimum of 1,000 sandwiches on a designated day each quarter to those in need. Additionally, for those who cannot afford the $5.50 cost, an all-you-can-eat option is available.

At its core, Project Pollo hopes to help limit the amount of animal consumption by presenting American fast-food consumers with a healthier and more sustainable plant-based meat option, with Bradbury citing the negative environmental effects of the chicken industry and the dangers food from eating animal protein.

“The future is in sustainability, and there’s absolutely no way the fast-food model can continue to offer animal protein as the main source of its menu,” he says. “The future of fast food consumption is plant-based – period.”

Comments are closed.