Sevierville Parkway buffet cited for food handling violations
Knoxville, Tenn. (WATE) – Food handling violations and improper food temperatures were among the violations found during a recent inspection at a Sevierville buffet. The Japanese buffet on the boardwalk also had no manager in charge during the restaurant’s initial inspection.
Sakura Japanese Super Buffet, 624 Parkway, Sevierville — score: 71; tracking: 91
Sakura Japanese Super Buffet scored a 71 on its first inspection. It’s a passing grade. Any score below 70 is considered a failure. Ten days after this inspection, the health inspector returned for a follow-up examination.
During the initial check, a cook was seen handling raw food before handling prepared food without washing his hands or changing gloves. The restaurant inspector also observed a dishwasher handling dirty dishes and washing dishes without washing his hands in between.
Food temperatures were also off. Raw steak and chicken held at 51 degrees. To prevent the growth of bacteria, a temperature of 41 and below is required. The sushi rice did not have a date of first use clearly marked on its container. The date is necessary to maintain quality.
Points were deducted for an industrial size can opener that was also “exceedingly” dirty. The machine had food debris stuck to it.
Finally, the inspector stated that no certified manager was present at the time of the inspection. A qualified manager with knowledge of food safety must be present.
Sakura Japanese Buffet has already undergone a follow-up inspection. The violations have been corrected and the new grade is a 91.
High scores of the week:
- Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, 950 Volunteer Landing – 100
- Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina, 6645 Clinton Highway — 100
- Inskip Grill, 4877 Broadway — 100
- Chick-fil-A, 2141 Andrew Johnson Highway, Morristown — 100
- Chuck’s Deli, 836 Unaka Street, Harriman — 100
- The Hollywood Hillbilly, 116 E. Main St. — 100
- Michael’s Family Diner, 2187 W. Trent Valley Road, Sneedville – 98
- PF Chang’s China Bistro, 6741 Kingston Pike — 98
Suggest a fix