Self-service buffets are back, but some buffet restaurants are still serving food to customers
Mr Soh added that the restaurant will be closed for three weeks after Sunday for renovations.
“When the government started announcing social distancing relaxations earlier this year, we started planning the renovation of our restaurant to create a new layout and install new kitchen equipment as we knew that the volumes of customers would increase, and that would justify our investment in the renovation. the restaurant,” he said.
“So the latest easing measures were really very good news for us, we’ve been waiting for this news for so long,” he added.
Under current regulations, self-service buffets are permitted at F&B outlets, as well as events such as weddings, funerals and business or social gatherings.
To keep diners and staff safe, restaurants and caterers are required to provide hand sanitizers or disposable gloves to their customers.
The resumption of self-service buffets will also help reduce the pressure on buffet restaurants, at a time when the F&B sector is facing a labor shortage.
Currently, Kiseki Japanese Buffet Restaurant employs around 40 to 45 staff members, including waiters and kitchen staff.
When CNA interviewed Mr Soh in August last year, he said labor costs had risen 30% as the group needed to hire more staff because self-service buffets weren’t working. were not allowed.
However, once the restaurant reopens and begins self-service buffets, Mr Soh said staff members will be redeployed to other restaurants in the group.
“We need a minimum of around 30 staff in Kiseki, so the rest can be seconded to our other brands where we are in desperate need of staff,” he said.
Carousel at the Royal Plaza on Scotts, which has seen a 35 per cent increase in bookings, said it was also recruiting more staff for front and back of house operations to meet the growing demand.