Main Chinese buffet allowed to reopen after passing inspection
Lacey’s main Chinese buffet has resumed operations after the restaurant passed a lengthy inspection on Wednesday, a county health official said.
The business was allowed to reopen Wednesday afternoon, but chose to reopen Thursday, said Art Starry, director of the environmental health division for Thurston County public health and social services.
The county shut down the business on December 15 after failing to show any improvement in food safety practices from a previous inspection in November. Last week, the restaurant recorded around 100 red dot violations related to improper heating and cooling of food. And given the lack of improvement, county officials were also concerned about a lack of management control.
Improper heating and cooling of food can lead to foodborne illness.
Starry said two county health inspectors spent more than two hours at the restaurant at 5580 Martin Way E. and left confident the business was ready to reopen.
“We are disappointed with the closure, but they have responded very well,” Starry said, adding that the appropriate security and control measures were in place.
He also said that staff demonstrate good communication with other staff and managers, and that managers interact with them in an appropriate manner.
“Once again, we are very happy,” said Starry.
Although the business was allowed to reopen on Wednesday, the restaurant wanted additional training for an opening on Thursday, he said.
This story was originally published 23 December 2021 at 5.45 am.