Food poisoning diners after 5-star hotel buffet in Tsim Sha Tsui

At least 32 people have been stricken with food poisoning after eating at a buffet restaurant at the five-star Mira Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.

The Center for Health Protection (CHP) said in a statement Monday that those affected were showing symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and fever. They ate at the restaurant on October 9-10.

Most of them saw a doctor, three of whom were hospitalized.

Local media have identified the restaurant as the Mira Hotel’s YAMM, which serves lunch and dinner buffets with a variety of seafood such as raw oysters and cooked lobster.

This is not the first time that incidents of food poisoning have been linked to high-end hotel buffets. Two years ago, thirteen people fell ill after eating a buffet dinner at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Causeway Bay. And in 2016, the Hotel Excelsior, which closed in 2019, removed oysters from its menu after several diners who ate the seafood showed signs of food poisoning.

The CHP and the Department of Food and Environmental Hygiene (FEHD) are investigating the food poisoning episode at YAMM, according to the statement on Monday.

According to Hong Kong Economic Time, YAMM said on Monday it would close for four days and reopen on Thursday. Coconut contacted the restaurant for comment.

Read more: Woman dies a week after eating Dan Ryan’s Thanksgiving meal that left 50 people with food poisoning

Comments are closed.